Hi there, we’re Permuted Press. You may remember us from such classics as Day by Day Armageddon, John Dies at the End, Plague of the Dead, Ex-Heroes, The Infection, 14, and many others. We’re looking for more novels to publish.
Before we get to the details about what we we want, let’s talk about some things we do not want.
We are not presently looking for:
- Novels less than 60,000 words in length.
- Novels that don’t somehow feature one or more of the following genres: horror, the supernatural, science fiction, or survival elements. We’re not interested in traditional westerns, modern romances, historical dramas, etc.
- Zombie novels. We’re not swearing off zombie novels, not at all. But we’ve got plenty on hand at the moment. (And, yes, we are still looking for apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic novels, just not with zombies.)
- Anthologies or short story collections. These are our novel submission guidelines after all.
- Erotica, or novels containing graphic descriptions of sexual acts. We’re not saying we won’t take books that feature sex, we’re just not looking for books that spell out the intimate details.
- Authors who can’t wait until 2014 or later to see their book published. (We have a backlog.)
- Authors who can’t wait 6 months or more for us to officially decide if we’ll accept their novel.
You’re still here? Great! Now that we have all that nasty business out of the way, here’s what we are looking for:
- Word Count: 60,000 words or longer.
- Genre: We’re officially accepting anything under the broad umbrella of horror, supernatural, and science fiction. We realize that’s a very wide net, so here are a few specific types of novels we tend to enjoy and would like to see submitted:
- Prepper, TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, and plague/outbreak novels. These types of novels generally deal with more realistic societal collapse. This would include novels like One Second After by William R. Forstchen, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and Patriots by James Wesley Rawles.
- Apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic novels. Alien invasions, last man on earth scenarios, nuclear war, biological war, or something completely new and original.
- Survival horror/adventure novels. Great examples of this type of work include Richard Laymon's Island, John Carpenter's The Thing, and William Golding’s Lord of the Flies.
- Interesting and unusual mystery/thriller novels. We’re thinking of novels that use science fiction or horror elements to create a deep sense of mystery and intrigue. This would include Bentley Little books like The Store and The Policy, Blake Crouch’s Pines, our own 14 by Peter Clines, or the television show Lost (just give it a better ending!).
- Superhero novels. Books like our own Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines, Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, and Confessions of a D-List Supervillain by Jim Bernheimer.
We do consider reprints/reissues of previously published/self-published books.
Formatting Your Novel
Your novel should be a Microsoft Word file formatted to the following:
- Single spaced.
- 1 inch margins.
- Body of the text 12 point Times New Roman.
- Chapter headings 12 point Arial bold.
- Use italics rather than underlining.
- Page break between chapters.
Submitting Your Novel
We are using the Submittable service to receive and track submissions. To submit your novel use the form here. You’ll be required to sign up for an account at Submittable prior to reaching the submission form. Before you fill anything out on the form we strongly recommend you read through the form and prepare the materials you’ll need.
You should receive an automatic confirmation email 30 minutes - 1 hour after submitting. If you do not receive confirmation or encounter other issues please contact us. After confirmation, Novels which we are not interested in reading will generally be rejected fairly quickly, within 1-2 weeks. Novels which are held for reading may be "in the running" for quite some time, possibly 6 months or more. If you need to reach us in regard to a submission please use our contact page.